I chose to spend my 25th birthday at restaurant Red Medecine (which had been awarded best new restaurant of 2012) located in Beverly Hills. Since we were a group more than 10 people, they recommended that we pre-order a fixed menu of 10 different dishes to all try and share.
The 10 dishes that you see here are:
1. Charred Uni- with cauliflower and chinese sausage (in the fishbowl)
2. Crispy spring rolls-dingeness crab, lime
3. Brussel Sprouts - shallots, fish sauce (the first largest pic there is)
4. Japanese Scallops-yogurt, unripe melon (pic directly above)
5. Chinese dumplings-carmelized sugar, confitures (left under the brussel sprouts)
6. Young Turnips-banana vinegar, creme fraiche (right side under brussel sprouts)
7. Wild Alaskan Halibut-black roots, burnt onion (left above scallops)
8. Braised Lamb-golden beets, mango (next to halibut)
9. Milk Chocolate Cream-in the japanese method, crispy devil’s food, cucumber, buckwheat, lovage (next to chinese dumplings)
10. Verbana Ice-almond praline, red currant, orange blossom, jasmine (wasn’t able to get a photo of this one)
As you can see from the pictures and descriptions, each dish was not only creative but beautifully presented. Surprisingly, my favorite, since I have never been a huge fan of these, was the Brussel Sprouts with shallots and fish sauce. Even saying the dish out loud sounds strange to me, but together the flavors complimented one another resulting in a delicious savory chewiness. The majority of our table was drawn to the mouth watering Japanese Scallops. The dish was beyond fresh and light, and not to mention, almost too pretty to eat!
As for the desserts, there’s a reason why I wasn’t able to get a picture of the second one… It was scooped up and eaten within seconds! It was nice to have such a big contrast between the two so our palettes could indulge in chocolate while feeling refreshed and cleansed by the verbana ice. I should mention that on top of this all, we also had birthday cake…. which will come in a later post ;)
Check out Red Medecine on their website at:
redmedicinela.com/ or call to make a reservation at:+1 323-651-5500
They are open from Mondays-Sundays 6pm-2am!
8400 Wilshire Blvd, Beverly Hills, CA 90211